Monday, August 06, 2007

The first day of school

Well. Today was the first day of our orientation for grad school. I woke up with butterflies in my stomach and headed off to the subway station very reluctantly. I'm always nervous meeting new people and going to new places. When I got there, people were just starting to arrive, and everyone seemed really friendly. We chatted over the coffee and pastries the school had set out and waited for the introduction to begin. We got lots of practical information -- it's a good thing it was also included in a folder for us because I don't think I could remember it all.
In the afternoon, we had a session with the grad school's therapist, which was really interesting. Before I got my master's degree, I would have thought the idea of having a grad school therapist was pretty ridiculous, but now I'd never question it. It's a very competitive, highly stressful time, and I remember reading once that the suicide rate among graduate students is insanely high. I believe it. I had a terrible time my first semester last time, and while I feel much better prepared to deal with the stresses this time, it's nice to know that the school has somebody there for us if we need it.
We finished off the day with a review session for our foreign language exams, which are tomorrow. I did okay, but am pretty nervous about it. Everybody think positive thoughts for me tomorrow -- I want to pass this the first time around.
I'd love to relax with a little knitting, and the mystery stole is totally calling my name right now, but I think I should study instead. Sometimes being responsible is no fun at all.
Internet access is still sporadic, but will hopefully be fixed by Wednesday night. I can't wait -- it's so hard to be disconnected from everything.

6 comments:

KnelleyBelley said...

Be brave, Erin! You'll do a great job. Wish I had a therapist in grad school!

acambras said...

Ditto from me -- I could have used an ARMY of therapists in grad school. I had no idea how difficult it would be. I'm glad that schools are starting to wake up and take notice.

So glad you had a good first day. I hope the rest of the week is great, too. We missed you last Thursday and were wondering how you've been doing. Keep us posted. :-)

Anne

anphoe said...

Good luck on your exams tomorrow!

WifeMomKnitter said...

Hey Erin,

If you read this before your exam today, just know that I wish you all the best and said a little prayer for you!

costumechick said...

I can help you witht the swear words... but I doubt they test on that. Alll I can offer then is "Break a Leg!"

oh, and knitting is therepy, so don't feel bad about some therepy time!

mad knitter said...

Sounds like an interesting first day! And how forward-thinking of the program to set you all up with a therapist from the get-go!!!

Hope you did great on your language exams!