Sunday, March 30, 2008

Wardrobe Therapy: It's the tops!

If you're going to sort through all the shirts you own, it helps to have some entertaining background noise. Try this:




That's some beard Bing's got, huh?

Anyway, sorting through the shirts was boring, but enlightening. The photos are not great, so my apologies. I hope to have an easier time with this week's assignment (pants, skirts, dresses), mostly because I have fewer of them.

Here's what I learned: (definitions of the terms here)

1. T-shirts (long, 3/4, and short sleeves)
Most of these are stalwart staples or velveteen rabbits (depending on their age), which I should work on replacing. I got rid of a few torture devices, mostly shirts that are too tight, especially around the sleeves. There were also a few mysteries of the lost shopping trip, mostly due to color. Why I ever wanted a tan t-shirt is a mystery to me.
I didn't count my stash of regular t-shirts from places, bands, etc. If they were in good shape I kept them. I mostly wear them around the house anyway. Sentimental journeys were my shirts from my college's football championships. I might add them in with the regular shirts so they can get worn for workouts, etc.
What I learned: I need some fresh shirts in any sleeve length. V-necks are best. I need to be careful about the fit on short sleeves, and I need to make sure they're all the right length (not too short).



2. Tank tops / camisoles
I don't have too many of these and could stand to buy some more for layering. Most of them are stalwart staples, with two velveteen rabbits (the off-white and black camisoles) that should be replaced asap. Two worn looking tops are not quite torture devices, but I'm letting them go because I don't really wear them. The green
top in the middle is a mystery that could be a superstar. I wouldn't know because I've never had the nerve to wear it. If it doesn't get worn a few times this summer. It's out.
What I learned: not much, except that these are basic pieces and I need to make sure they're in good shape. I also have to find an outfit that I can use that green top in.



3. Sweaters (that go by themselves, not over other pieces)
Torture devices: turtlenecks (I need to stop buying them, although I love the color of the pink one.
Mysteries: some hand-me downs from my mom's friend. Not my style, won't wear them, they're leaving.
Same time-next year / velveteen rabbits - a cowl neck (better than a turtleneck on me. I'm not sure why) that's getting a little pilled, all my sweater sets are getting a bit mangy looking, although the cardigans are in better shape than the shells.
Stalwart staples: I've got a few nice long-sleeved sweaters that I need to keep an eye on for rabbitiness. I have a bunch of 3/4 sleeve sweaters with interesting neckline details that I love. They're a bunch of different ages, so some are in need of retirement. But I bought several this fall that are in good shape, and in good colors, so I feel good here.
Superstars -- the purple long sleeved v-neck ribbed sweater. Good color, good fit, in good shape.
What I learned: It's time to let go of the turtleneck. Free clothes are not necessarily worth taking. Almost all the sweaters were in good colors for me.

4. Button-down shirts/knit shirts/others
Superstars: I have a silk t-shirt and a few fancy tops in this category. What do they have in common? V-necks, empire waists, wrap-style detailing.
Stalwart staples: 3/4 sleeve button downs (fine since I don't wear them with blazers, usually. long sleeve button downs, in cute colors, but need a basic white one that doens't make me look like a waiter (to quote Dr. Wende)
velveteen rabbits: a few cotton tops that are good for summer. I'll have to see how much I actually wear them before I decide if they get to stay after the end of the season, though, since they're a few years old and are not really classic pieces -- I don't know if they'll still be good a year from now. Also a few knit tops that need replacement, like my classic white shell that goes with my suit (which I never wear, but that's a story for next week).
Mysteries: more of the free shirts, which are going, and a few others that are staying for now, but need to prove their worth, since they are cute in theory but haven't seen much wear.
Torture devices: why did I want a peach flowered polo shirt? It washes me out and is too tight, so bye!




Whew! That was a lot of shirts. I've made a nice little pile for Goodwill, and I'm putting together a list of things to buy when next I get to do a little retail therapy. I've been a bit behind this week on WT, and haven't been doing a very good job on commenting on other blogs, either. But hopefully I can get back on track this week.

3 comments:

drwende said...

So glad to see you're still in the game. With the quantity of tops, that took a while to get done!

No one ever knows why she buys a peach flowered polo shirt, which is how stores manage to sell them.

KnelleyBelley said...

I'm impressed. You're sticking to your therapy plan and getting things done. I see so much of my wardrobe in your wardrobe! Me thinks me should get on with the program.

mad knitter said...

Ooooooh, Bing is my favorite!!! I think cause he and my father always reminded me of each other :). And is that Ethel Merman? So, so cool!

Looks like you are doing a great job with your WT. I hope someday to tackle this! I know not this week, though, LOL!