Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Monkeys are off my back!

And on to my feet!

Monkey2
Monkey1

I finished them on Super Bowl Sunday, and had them done in time to watch the Giants win. Yay! (for the socks and the Giants!) I immediately cast on the Jitterbug for my mom's socks, but have had to start over since they were looking a little big. I'm using the generic toe-up recipe from Wendy Knits. I may put some fancy ribbing on when I get to the leg, I'll have to see, but I'd like this to be a relatively speedy knit (speedy for me, at least, which isn't really objectively speedy at all.)

I've also been on a yarn buying kick, which is bad, but hopefully after my order from the Loopy Ewe gets here, I'll have the buying urge under control for a while. I just can't say no to pretty sock yarn.

Things have been a little crazy for me, school-wise. My part-time job got sorted out at last, and I think I'm going to really enjoy it. It is surprising how it's affected my schedule though. Having one less day to get my reading done is making it a bit hard to stay caught up. I don't really like having to go in to the library on the weekends, but it looks like I'm not going to have much choice.

Yesterday I had a much needed Day of Fun. A friend came in to visit me, and we hit Dinosaur BBQ (pretty good for not being in Texas :) ), the New York City Police Museum (a really interesting museum. I saw an actual sawed off shotgun in a violin case in their historic weapons section. I thought that was just what movie mobsters did), and the Fraunces Tavern Museum. The last one was really interesting. Aside from being the oldest standing building in NYC, it was also the site of several important events in the Revolution and early Federal periods, including George Washington's farewell to his troops when he resigned command of the Continental Army. We happened to come on Benjamin Tallmadge day, which is an important date for the Sons of the Revolution who run the place, and there were reinactors all over the place, including a brigade (?) of dragoons from Connecticut. They had very cool uniforms. Sadly I had no camera with me. After touring the museum, we went into the restaurant/bar on the ground floor and had a beer. It was fun to drink in the same historic place as George and his pals.

Today I puttered around, did some reading, and made muffins. Cappuchino Chip Muffins, to be exact. They're delicious. What you do not see in this picture is the coffee cream cheese spread that I made to go along with them. With the topping, they're really more like cupcakes, and that's fine with me.

Cappuchino Chip Muffins

Mmm...muffins. Not a bad way to end a weekend.

4 comments:

anphoe said...

LOVE your monkey sock! They are so pretty.

The muffins look really good, where did you get the recipe from?

WifeMomKnitter said...

I'm glad you got the Monkeys off your back and on your feet where they belong!

Those muffins look delicious!!!

mad knitter said...

Monkeys and muffins all look great! That is the best colorway for socks!

KnelleyBelley said...

Monkeys! Love your monkeys. They're beauties!

Your muffins look mighty good, too!