Sunday, September 30, 2007

Higher Education is Kicking my Butt

Was graduate school this hard the first time around? I really can't remember. Maybe I blocked it out. Or maybe it is harder, or maybe I'm just dumber. Who knows?
Regardless, although I'm really enjoying all my classes, there's just so much work to do, and no matter how fast I read, no matter how much time I spend in the library, I can't seem to do more than just barely keep up.
I mean, I know all about skimming for important points and that you don't have to read every word of every page, but I just feel such a compulsion to do well, to make sure that every moment of this whole Ph.D. process really counts. So for the moment, I'm doing my best impression of an overachiever. We'll see how long it lasts.
What all this reading and studying means is that I've had little time to do anything else lately. No exploring the city, no reading fun books, and most (and worst) of all, no knitting. It makes Erin a bit of a dull girl.
It turns out that tons of my classmates knit, which is very cool, but none of us have much time to do it. I've been bringing a sock to school, and I try to get in a few rounds where I can, but progress is slow. And my lace projects? Forget it. I don't have the time or the spare brain power.
I'm hoping that I'll get the hang of the time management necessary to both get my work done and have a little fun. I'm sure it will happen eventually. Right now I'm blogging during a brief break from reading about the Dutch East India Company, woven textiles, and furniture. I'd like to get some sleep in before I have to head back to school tomorrow, so I guess I'd better get back to the grind.
I hope everyone out there is having more fun than I am. Somebody ought to. :)

4 comments:

costumechick said...

I love the Dutch east india Company! It might be hard work, but think of all the cool stuff you can talk about when it's over! Keep the torch burning, and look forward to break. Lots of knitting time during break!

KnelleyBelley said...

You poor thing. All work and no knitting makes you a grumpy girl. At least you might be able to TALK knitting with your classmates. For a few seconds. Hang in there!

anphoe said...

I know how classes are, I feel the same way. Sometimes, I wished I was one of those "it's ok to get a C" students, then my life would be much more easier.

I haven't knitted at all lately, at least you got to knit couple rows of socks, I didn't even have a chance to touch my needles. My MS3 is also in the frozen condition. haha!

Nice to hear from you, keep in touch!

Ms.Maybee said...

Wow - I can certainly relate to your last post. I haven't been knitting for so long that I don't even know where my favorite set of sock needles are. However, now I'm determined to get back in the saddle. Hopefully next time I see you my hands will be working away on some holiday socks.