Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The knitting

Oh, the knitting.

I've been feeling very lazy lately. I think it's partly in reaction to work, where there is far too much to do, so that when I'm home I don't want to do anything. It's sort of my passive-agressive way of having free time, except the only person I'm annoying is myself. But since I get annoyed when my friends don't update their blogs (how dare they go have lives instead of writing about them!), I thought I should update mine, just in case anyone feels that way about me. I assure you, when I'm not writing here, I am not out having fun. I'm probably just sacked out in the living room watching tv and trying not to melt into my armchair.

So. Here's a picture of the finished summer socks by Wendyknits. Please ignore my large and pasty legs. It is hard to take a picture of your feet while you're wearing socks. Especially when it's hot outside.
DSC01131

Also, here's a picture of the sock-in-progress:
DSC01134
It's the Oriel pattern from Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks. I'm now all the way up to the leg, so I guess I should take a new picture, huh?? I'm very pleased with this sock. First of all, the yarn (Dream in Color Smooshy in Lunar Zazzle) is WONDERFUL! It is indeed very smooshy. I love the color and it's knitting up into a fabric that I think will be very comfy to wear. Secondly, this is the sock on which I finally learned how to pick up stitches. Just like my old foe the matress stitch, picking up stitches has always been an ordeal for me. With the matress stitch, I had to watch someone do it before it all clicked. This time, I looked at the instructions in the book and suddenly the light went on. Usually the picking-up stiches part of a sock involves a lot of swearing, but not a curse word was said this time. Thirdly, I got lots of compliments on it at the last knitting group I went to, which was very good for the ego.

In other knitting matters, this past week I got the happy news that this winter there will be two new babies in need of knitted goodies. I'm very happy for my friends, and I'm also happy for me, because I love to knit baby stuff. It's cute and its little, which are both good incentives for me to get things done. I'm thinking maybe some of the booties that my friend Wife, Mom, Knitter's been making for the girl baby, but I don't know what to do about the baby-of-indeterminate-gender just yet. (The baby does have a gender, the parents just aren't saying, so I'm going to go with something neutral.) Maybe a knitted toy or two?

1 comment:

WifeMomKnitter said...

See my standby pattern if the girl baby turned out to be a boy baby was going to be a pair of Converse-type high-top booties. I found a pattern in one of my Crochet Today magazines.

I'm sure someone has done something similar on Ravelry.

The socks are gorgeous. Love the yarn that you used (are using).

I try my best to keep my blog updated, but I have to admit, Erin, I too have some days where I just don't have the energy.