Tuesday, November 06, 2007

What sleepless nights are good for


Socks! Yes the Roza's socks are finished at last. Plymouth Sockotta, color 367, knit on size 1 dpns. They're a grumperina pattern from the Spring 07 IK. Technically, I made three socks, but the first sock was so tight I had to frog it and start again. I went up a size and made the heel flap slightly longer, and voila! I really like this pattern. The brioche stitch is pretty and very easy to memorize. These were great socks for mobile knitting, and were knitted in Connecticut, Texas, the Bronx, and Manhattan. They've really gotten around, and I haven't even worn them yet.

I've been on the verge of finishing them for ages, and finally, I stayed up late to finish them off. I was on edge, and the knitting was just what I needed. I haven't talked about it much, but my father has not been well this past several months. He was diagnosed with liver cancer, and has been undergoing chemo since the spring. Thankfully, the tumor was isolated to the liver and shrunk a lot with the chemotherapy. Yesterday he underwent surgery to remove it. I talked with my parents about possibly going home to be with everyone, but we decided it was better for me to stay in school. I know it was the practical thing to do, but yesterday I was not feeling good about that decision. I really wanted to be with my family. I went to class, but I'm not sure I learned a thing. I was just waiting for the phone to ring. I finally got the call that he was out of surgery and stable around 7 last night, and I just felt all this stress leaving me when I heard he was out and safe. I still couldn't sleep though, and these finished objects are the result.
He's resting now, and finally, so am I.

6 comments:

anphoe said...

Socks are nice!

I am sorry to hear about your father. I totally understand how you feel, because I just went through the same thing. Leaving my family to come back for school was the hardest decision I have ever made in my life, and I did come back for school. My dad is getting better, and I hope so does your dad! My thoughts are with you, hugs.

costumechick said...

What lovely socks to come out your stress and concern. Your Dad knows you are thinking about him. I'm sending all the good vibes I can to you and your family!

WifeMomKnitter said...

The socks look fantastic, Erin!

I am so very glad to hear that your dad is doing well. It seems like they caught the tumor in time which was fortunate. My MIL was initially diagnosed with liver cancer just about two years ago. The diagnosis then changed to pancreatic cancer and she was unfortunately taken away from us just about three months after the initial diagnosis. I often wonder if they had found it sooner, would she still be with us today. My prayers are with you and your family.

editorgrrl said...

More good vibes for your dad from me, too.
Karen from S'nB New Haven

KnelleyBelley said...

Love the socks. Glad to hear your father did well with his surgery. I'm keeping him - and you and your family - in my thoughts. May he kick that cancer's ugly ass!

(Sorry - got a little carried away with that. Ahem.)

mad knitter said...

Erin - I'm sorry to hear about your Dad...please keep us posted!

Your socks are very cute!! Nice work! Hope school is treating you well!