Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Thank you Susan B. Anthony!

I headed out to the polling place before work this morning. There was more of a crowd than there was for the primaries, but not that many people overall. I think that there are many immigrants in my neighborhood, so I am not sure how many of them can vote. Still, it felt good to do my civic duty. (Even though I didn't get a sticker. I like the stickers.)

Here in New York we have the old fashioned machines with big levers. I like them much more than the computers we had in Texas. Pulling the lever is fun. (and also, these machines are apparently harder to mess with than the computerized version).

I have always lived in states that go pretty solidly red or blue, so on the national scale, I've never felt much like my vote was all that critical (the local scale is a whole 'nother story, though), but I've always been excited about voting and have voted in all the major and many of the minor elections since. I remember how angry I got in grade school when I learned that women hadn't always been allowed to vote. It seemed (it was) so incredibly unfair. I'd like to think that had I been alive in the nineteen-teens and earlier, I would have been out on the front lines with the suffragists. So for Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, the Pankhursts, Carrie Chapman Catt, and all those other women (and men) whose names and faces aren't as famous --


thanks for giving me the right to say:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, I agree with you on the stickers. I had to absentee vote this year, so no sticker for me either.

I found another post on Susan B. Anthony at Peterman's Eye. I enjoyed it and thought I'd share:
http://www.petermanseye.com/interesting-times/day-s-events/364-a-woman-s-right-to-vote
Cheers! And happy voting!

WifeMomKnitter said...

Bravo, Erin!

Virginia Harris said...

It is election day and I AM VOTING thanks to the courage of countless suffragettes!

Can you even imagine NOT being able to vote?

It saddens me that so few people know ALL of the suffering that our suffragettes had to go through, and what life was REALLY like for women.

Now you can subscribe FREE to my exciting e-mail series that goes behind the scenes in the lives of eight of the world's most famous women to reveal the shocking and sometimes heartbreaking truth of HOW women won the vote.

Dramatic, sequential short story e-mail episodes have readers from all over the world raving about the original historical series, "The Privilege of Voting."

Read this FREE e-mail series on your coffeebreaks and fall in love with these amazing women!

Subscribe free at

www.CoffeebreakReaders.com/subscribe.html