Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I came, I translated, I kicked some butt!

Summer internship: over, except for a few last details (whew!)
Library job: restarted, and they'd like me back for the fall (yay!)
German: learned, sort of (arrgh!)
German reading exam: passed (hooray!)
Next step on the road to Ph.D.: proposing my qualifying exams (aack!)

Sorry to have dropped of the interwebs like that. Things got a little crazy once I realized how little time I had before the German exam. But it is over and I have passed (thank goodness) and now I'm right where I should be on the degree schedule. I just got the email with the results - I was a bit afraid to look in case the news wasn't good. I still can't believe I passed. I've reread the email several times just to make sure.

The exam was hard. I got the paper and looked at the page full of German and freaked out a little (ok, a lot). It seemed to take me forever just to get through the title and I started to panic a little. I just kept going, though, and things got easier and I got faster, and by the end of the three hours I had made it through the whole passage. By the end, I felt like I more-or-less had the basic idea of all the sentences down, but I just didn't know if it would be finely tuned enough to pass muster. The German instructor was rumored to be very tough, so I just didn't know. I spent the evening making chocolate chip cookies to console myself, just in case. Now they can be cookies of celebration, instead!

I'm off to enjoy myself for a day. For once, there's very little hanging over my head. Tomorrow it's back to work and back to figuring out what to do about those qualifying exams, but I'm just going to enjoy the day today. Auf wiedersehen!

5 comments:

scb said...

Congratulations! (I'd say that in German if I knew how, but my knowledge of German is limited to what I picked up from singing German lieder when taking voice lessons.)

WifeMomKnitter said...

Well done, Erin!!!!

Anne said...

My German is limited to swear words (lots of German kids at my grade school), but I'll give you an English word: YAY!!!

drwende said...

Congratulations! Isn't it great to have it over?

Cookies of celebration, indeed.

KnelleyBelley said...

You're a butt kicker! How do you say that in German?

Happy to hear you're doing so well!